What you need to open a bank account
- A valid, government-issued photo ID, such as a driver’s license or a passport.
- Other basic information, such as your birthdate, Social Security number or Taxpayer Identification Number, or phone number.
- An initial deposit is required by some banks, too.
- 1 What ID do I need to open a bank account UK?
- 2 What forms of ID do you need to open a bank account?
- 3 What ID can I use if I don’t have a passport or driving Licence UK?
- 4 What bank account can I open without ID?
- 5 What two forms of ID can you use?
- 6 Can I open a bank account online without photo ID?
- 7 Is a photo ID required to open a bank account?
- 8 What is the easiest valid ID to get?
- 9 How can I prove my identity without ID?
- 10 What is acceptable photo ID?
- 11 Can I open a bank account without going to the bank?
What ID do I need to open a bank account UK?
To open a UK bank account, you’ll need two documents: one to prove your identity and one to prove your address. This applies both in-branch and online. Proving your identity is simple. You just need your passport, driving licence or identity card (if you’re an EU national).
What forms of ID do you need to open a bank account?
What do I need to open a bank account online? You will generally have to choose one of the following options: One form of primary photographic ID: such as a driver’s license, passport or proof of age card. Two forms of primary non-photographic ID: such as a birth certificate, citizenship certificate or pension card.
What ID can I use if I don’t have a passport or driving Licence UK?
You can use a UK birth, adoption or naturalisation certificate, but you must send it with one of the following: National Insurance card or a letter from the Department for Work and Pensions ( DWP ) showing your National Insurance number. photocopy of the front page of a benefits book or an original benefits claim
What bank account can I open without ID?
If you are looking to open a bank account without ID in the UK you have three options:
- The first option is to use your regular walk-in bank, which refers to Barclays, Lloyds and other banks.
- The second option is to use technology, usually through mobile phone payment systems.
What two forms of ID can you use?
Valid Forms of ID
- Valid Driver’s License.
- Birth Certificate.
- State-issued Identification Card.
- Student Identification Card.
- Social Security Card.
- Military Identification Card.
- Passport or Passport Card.
Can I open a bank account online without photo ID?
As you can probably imagine, the short answer to this is no. Banks need to verify your identity before letting you open a bank account. However, if you don’t have a valid UK passport or driving licence, there are some other forms of ID that banks may consider, which we outline below.
Is a photo ID required to open a bank account?
Government-issued identification Almost every bank requires you to present a valid government-issued photo ID when opening a checking account. This verifies that you are who you say you are and allows the bank to match your name to your face. The most common form of government-issued photo ID is a driver’s license.
What is the easiest valid ID to get?
Postal ID, NBI Clearance, UMID, and Passport are four of the easiest valid IDs to acquire.
How can I prove my identity without ID?
You can use any document from the following list:
- State identification (ID) card.
- Driver license.
- US passport or passport card.
- US military card (front and back)
- Military dependent’s ID card (front and back)
- Permanent Resident Card.
- Certificate of Citizenship.
- Certificate of Naturalization.
What is acceptable photo ID?
Examples of acceptable photographic ID are: Photocard Driving Licence (an expired photocard does NOT invalidate the licence) A valid passport. An expired passport. Formal ID Cards (armed forces, police, student union, company ID card)
Can I open a bank account without going to the bank?
There’s no need to visit a branch to open a bank account anymore. You can open a bank account, deposit money and set up automatic payments all from the comfort of your home. Once you’ve applied, just wait for the card to be sent to you in the mail, activate the account and you’re good to go.