Filing a tax return is perhaps the quickest and most straightforward method of updating your bank account number with the IRS. If your bank account number has been out of current and you wish to notify the IRS of this, you can do so when you file your tax return. Simply provide the new bank account number in the appropriate field on your tax return.
Changing your bank account or routing number for a tax refund can be accomplished by contacting the Internal Revenue Service at 800-829-1040. If you haven’t yet submitted your return, or if the IRS has rejected your return, you should do one of the following:
- Navigate to the Files area of the H&R Block Online software to get started.
- Choose how you wish to file your documents
- Select Direct Deposit as your payment method.
How do I update my direct deposit information on my taxes?
However, once the return has been approved and posted, you’ll need to contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 to report the error. If you respond immediately, they may be able to make the necessary changes to your direct deposit information for you.
How do I update my tax information on get my payment?
- According to the IRS, you may also amend your information by completing your 2020 tax return, but this will take more time and effort.
- Get My Payment requires the following information: date of birth, Social Security number, street address, and zip code.
- If you attempt to access the tool many times and are unsuccessful, you will be locked out of the tool for a period of 24 hours for security reasons.